Welcome to your child’s Pre-primary year. This year focuses on experiential learning opportunities which result in important concepts for later development. Throughout the year the children also participate in a range of whole school activities. The progression from Kindergarten to Pre-primary to Year one is a flowing process in which early learning habits are established.
Pre-primary school hours
School commences 8.45 am. Please note that your child must not arrive at school before 8.30 am as there will be no supervision for them.
Parents are welcome to enjoy an activity or puzzle with their child. Class begins promptly at 8.45 am.
Bringing and picking up your child
Making sure your child is happy and safe is our priority. For this reason, parents or a responsible person are to bring their child to Pre Primary each day and be available to collect them at the end of the day. If you wish your child to be collected by a person other than their guardian, please advise the teacher. Written permission is required if an older sibling is collecting your child.
Healthy food and drink
We involve the children in “Crunch and Sip” each day. Please pack lunch and recess food separate from their Crunch and Sip.
When packing their lunch please ensure food is prepared and packed in a manner that is easy for your child to access. We have water fountains, but when packing their drink we strongly recommend water.
Please notify staff if there is any food your child is allergic to or is not to eat, as we occasionally do cooking activities.
Bags and equipment
Your child will need two bags:
- A reasonable sized bag or backpack, sufficient to fit a lunch box, drink container, morning snack, books, hat, spare clothes and schoolwork. This style of bag will help us to teach your child about keeping their belongings in one place and being responsible for their own property.
- A library bag is also needed, to allow children to borrow books. This bag should be approximately 35cm x 35cm and needs a Velcro fastening or drawstring handle to stop books falling out. These are available from the front office.
Please write your child’s name on everything so that it is visible.
They will also need:
- A full set of spare clothing in their bag every day including underwear, shirt, shorts or trousers and a jacket or jumper in case of accidents and when children are involved in water play.
Parents are required to supply their children with personal items such as pens, pencils, rulers, rubbers, exercise books, etc. Lists of pupil requirements for each year level are issued to students in term four. The P&C association arranges to provide the items required. Parents need to complete a pupil requirement order form and return this to the school by the due date. Orders are packaged individually and ready for collection at the start of the new school year. Payment is made when orders are collected.
It is important that all personal items, including clothing, are clearly marked with the student’s name. In order to maintain tidy workbooks, parents are asked to cover all books.
Your child’s birthday
We love birthdays at Hillarys Primary School. We welcome you bringing in a cake or cupcakes.
Your child will love having you visit and be part of their PrePrimary Centre, and our parents are welcomed and needed. There are a number of ways you can get involved:
- Assist with parent help roster.
- Go with the class on excursions.
- Attend parent workshops; attend the school P&C committee meetings.
- Volunteering to wash aprons and hand towels.
- Share any special skills you have with your child’s class (such as carpentry, weaving, pottery or cooking).
- Save your ice cream, yoghurt and margarine containers for us. Paper, cardboard, milk and orange juice cartons, tissues boxes, plastic bottles, milk bottle tops, old magazines, cereal boxes etc are all welcome.
Before assisting in any classrooms parents/carers must complete the Confidential Declaration. This Declaration verifies that parent/carers do not have any circumstances that preclude them from working with or near children.